30 November 2007

Rijksakademie


After the cold and wet tour through the Bijlmer, we went straight to the Open Ateliers at the Rijksakademie. The name of the institute is deliberately written with a ‘k’ and not with a ‘c’, because it models itself after the ‘classical Akademia, the place where young an old scientists and artists met to exchange ideas and knowledge.’ I was not very inspired by what was on display, but perhaps that was due to my fatigue.

Halil and Azra met up with Turkish artist Ahmet Ogut, who exhibited at the Open Ateliers (see video still). I ran into Amalia Pica, one of our participating artists, who told me she has some problems deciding on a good location, because she keeps getting lost (I really need to get a good map!). We agreed to walk the route together soon.

I had a couple of beers with Bas in the bar and then went for dinner with Jennifer Tee at a (very bad) restaurant. We discussed her participation in Open Source Amsterdam, the details of the contract and the planning.

Like some of the other artists, Jennifer wondered why I need the sketches by the end of March 2008, while the event opens in May 2009. The reason is that we suspect that it may take a long time to get all the permits sorted out. During the summer months, it is always hard to get things organized, and September would be cutting it close. So I need to present to the local authorities what is going to be where and for how long by May 2008 at the very latest. Art in the public space and red tape go hand in hand in the Netherlands!