08 February 2008

Allora & Calzadilla



Yesterday morning I went to the Stedelijk Museum to try and talk to Jennifer Allora and Guillermo Calzadilla. I have tried to contact them for a very long time. But since they are the hottest artists in the world right now, it is practically impossible to get in touch with them.

When I arrived, they were busy getting the last details right for 'NEVER MIND THAT NOISE YOU HEARD' their first solo show in the Netherlands. And just after the photo shoot with De Telegraaf and just before the interview with Het Parool, I met them at the coffee machine and got a couple of minutes to pitch the project to them.

Amazingly, with everything going on around them, Jennifer and Guillermo actually found the attention and the concentration to listen and to look at what Open Source is all about. I would like them to create a (permanent) work of art in the public space - something they have never done before as far as I know, so I was not sure they would go for it or not. I am truly delighted that Jennifer and Guillermo have agreed to make a proposal for Open Source.

Later that afternoon I went back to the Stedelijk for the opening of the show, which was pretty spectacular. Open Source is very fortunate to have these two talented artists in the project.