12 October 2007

Frieze update 1


Getting more to terms with the commercial side of the art world. Everybody is here, not so much to buy works of art (although that too of course) but to meet people you'd otherwise have to go see in Parijs, Berlin, New York or Tokyo. I am getting more and more into the frantic, gossipy, money-crazy vibe that typifies the Frieze.

I am here to meet a rep of a gallery. There is an artist I would very much like to have in Open Source Amsterdam, but he has been impossible to get hold of. We've been sending e-mails and calling people since May! And now finally, we've got the gallery interested. The guy is not at the booth in the fair. I've called his cell phone and left a message.

In the meantime I have a better look at the art fair. This is not the place for new discoveries: it is one big name after the other. Works by several of the artists on my list can been seen here. Crousel Gallery from Paris has some collages by Thomas Hirschhorn. Neither Chantal nor Lara is at the booth. What a shame, I wanted to say hello and thanks. They have been very kind and helpful towards our project. In the meantime, a couple of booths further down, an untitled pile of small cushions by Louise Bourgeois is sold at $750,000.

The Frieze Sculpture Garden is just outside. Nice informal atmosphere. As for the art...judge for yourself (see pictures above).