16 October 2007

Thomas Hirschhorn


Yesterday I unpacked, washed my laundry, repacked and now I am in the Thalys on my way to Paris. I have a meeting lined up with Thomas Hirschhorn, at this studio in Aubervilliers. I am very excited.
Hirschhorn's work stormed into my professional life at Documenta 11. The Bataille Monument was a work I hated, I loved, hated, loved, and so forth. But as a result, I have been following his work closely over the last couple of years. The Mussee Precaire Albinet I have used as a reference in many presentations in order to show that the combination of 'high' art and a 'difficult' neighbourhood is very well possible, desirable even,
It has taken a long time and a lot of effort to get this appointment - and to be honest, most of the effort came not from me, but from Maria Bojan, a Rumanian curator.