22 January 2009

Crunching

Well, as I said before, the financial crisis is hitting us hard also. But yesterday, at a special meeting, the Board of the Street of Sculptures Foundation, decided to go along with our budget cuts and give a full GO on the production of the works of art. Any other cuts have to come from the organisation and communication. I am very grateful.

It is distressing not to be able to realise my dream fully. But when I hear the horror stories around me (galleries not having any sales at all in 4 months, and not informing their artist about any sales they do make, etc) I cannot expect Open Source Amsterdam to be unscathed.

I talked to some artists, and they believe that the slump in the art market is not that much of a bad thing. They believe that people will have more interest in the content of art now, instead of its market value. And that Open Source Amsterdam comes exactly at the right moment. I hope they’re right.

No comments: